Safe working procedures whilst working within, entering and exiting a confined space and if an emergency were to arise forcing an evacuation.
Candidates will understand safe working practices when entering areas classified as a confined space and where there may be a risk of serious injury or to lives.
Assessed by direct observation, a simulated exercise and written paper. Upon successful completion candidates will receive certification valid for 3 years
CS1 Entry Into Confined Spaces Course Details
A confined space is any space including chamber, vessel, tank, silo, pit or other similar space that is largely enclosed (not always entirely) that contains a foreseeable specified risk of serious injury. A ‘specified risk’ can be any of the following:
- Fire or explosion causing serious injury
- Gas, fume, vapour or lack of oxygen causing loss of consciousness
- Increase in body temperature causing loss of consciousness
- Increase in the level of liquid causing drowning
- Free flowing solids causing asphyxiation
By the end of the training course delegates will be able to:
- Summarise the requirements of the confined space legislation and the associated ACOP.
- Identify a confined space and its reasonably foreseeable risks.
- Select appropriate methods of risk control.
- Select appropriate safety equipment that may be used when entering a confined space and carry out appropriate pre-use checks.
- Conduct an entry into a confined space using escape and full working breathing apparatus and ancillary safety equipment, in a safe and efficient manner.
Content covered during this course include:
- Personal protection and hygiene requirements
- Understanding risk assessments and method statements
- Types of gaseous atmosphere, gas monitoring equipment and its use
- The use of harness, fall arrest and retrieval systems
- The use of escape breathing apparatus and self-rescue procedures
- Safe entry, working and exit procedures at confined spaces
- Knowledge and skill exercises for planning, permits, entering, working and exiting confined spaces using breathing apparatus as a part of the planned means for self-rescue
Tuition will include a high proportion of hands-on demonstrations and practical exercises, supplemented with classroom-based tutorials and pre-and post-course assessments.
All candidates must be cleanly shaven if this is not possible we must be notified prior to the course date. Candidates should bring their own safety footwear, waterproof clothing, hard hat and work gloves for the practical exercises. Any person attending this course should be physically and mentally fit to withstand the rigours of training. Candidates should be able to read, write and understand English as all documentation, presentations and examination paperwork will be in English only.
The course will be assessed by direct observation, a simulated exercise and written paper. Upon successful completion, candidates will receive a certificate valid for 3 years.
Fulbourn, Cambridge Training Facility
Open course dates availible throughout the year.
What Our Customers Are Saying
Don’t just take it from us, let our customers do the talking!
“Excellent customer service, extremely knowledgeable and really helpful in responding to training queries. We would definitely recommend CMT”
“The training went very well, at a good steady pace throughout. I had excellent support which without I wouldn’t have got through the course.On various courses with different training providers, I never got this level of support throughout and even felt neglected at times. The Fulbourn centre has excellent facilities which were great to learn and develop in.”
Don't Be Shy
If we didn’t answer all of your questions, feel free to drop us a line anytime.