LUS - Location and Avoidance of Underground Apparatus (Unit 001)
The Location and Avoidance of Underground Apparatus training course is designed for operatives who need to identify the location of underground services; gas, water, sewerage, electric cables and other structures.
This course is designed to allow the candidate to demonstrate the skills and knowledge required to successfully locate and avoid underground utilities apparatus and highways services. The delegate will know how to interpret plans, and confirm that the plans used correspond with details of the work site. They will be able to identify the different types of underground utilities apparatus and highways services that are encountered prior to carrying out excavation, and to identify the risks and implications of damage to underground utilities apparatus and highways services. The delegate must also show that they can use pipe and cable location equipment to locate underground utilities apparatus and highways services.
Content covered during this course include:
- Relevant regulations/legislation
- Review of HSG 47 Avoiding Danger from Underground Services
- Identifying underground apparatus and supporting utilities
- Map reading and identification of legends
- Practical map scale of apparatus
- Trial holes
- Introduction to CAT and Genny
- Locating cable run
- Situations relevant to and injuries from, hitting different utilities
Assessment & exams
- A high proportion of hands on demonstrations and practical exercises, as well as a hand-out pack. Assessment will be by written test paper and observations during the course.
- Delegates should provide their own PPE including, hi-vis, gloves, protective footwear, safety glasses and hard hat.
- Delegates should be physically and mentally fit to withstand the rigours of training.
- On completion of the course, delegates will be issued with a certificate of attendance that is valid for five years.
For further information or to book a place please call Booking and further information08433 301236
or email us