A04 - Tower Crane
The CPCS Tower Crane course is delivered through a combination of classroom-based tutorials and practical training.
Completing the course successfully will entitle delegates to a CPCS Red Trained Operator Card (upon successful completion of the appropriate CPCS Technical Test).
The CPCS Tower Crane training course is for potential and existing operators who have received no formal instruction and those requiring refresher training.
Content covered during this course include:
- Operate the tower crane safely and productively
- Respond to the recognised signals for controlling crane operations
- Decide whether a particular load is within the capacity of the crane
- Carry out minor adjustments and routine maintenance
- Understand the capabilities of the equipment and any relevant safety precautions, including the out of service procedure
- Operate safe-load indicators and overload warning devices
- Understand the effect of the working radius on the lifting capacity of the machine
- Secure, check and maintain counterweights effectively
- Gauge the effect of shock loading on structural strength and stability
- Recognise the principles of safe slinging, the types and capacities of lifting gear, security and balance of load
- Observe the statutory regulations in respect of lifting equipment and the operator's own legal responsibilities
- Dependent upon experience
- Delegates must have passed a CITB Health, Safety and Environment (HS&E) test no more than two years before attending this course.
- Delegates must have a good understanding of spoken and written English. Please contact us if you have any concerns in this area.
- In addition to the above entry requirements delegates should consider operating tower cranes require operators to be comfortable working at height.
Assessment and exams:
- Delegates will be assessed through both theory and practical tests.
- On successful completion of the course, delegates will be awarded a CPCS Red Trained Operator Card (on successful completion of the CPCS Technical Tests).